The Academy of Crafts and Design
The Academy of Crafts and Design - Gut Rosenberg is a Centre of Excellence of the Aachen Chamber of Crafts and Skilled Trades, www.hwk-aachen.de. Our Academy gives craftsmen with a creative talent the possibility to educate further in design. Since 1985, we have been offering degree courses in design for creative craftspeople. Nowadays, the academy is one of the best in design throughout the federal state NRW.
The quality and philosophy of our academy is characterised by experimenting with innovative ideas, trying new things with regards to the materials´ individual properties and the knowledge of established traditional handicraft. Together with our students, we expand on enthusiasm and passion for design. We do this in awareness of our responsibility for the culture of everyday objects - beyond the limits of each individual craft.
Full- time degree course "Two in One" (design + company management),
6 semesters = 3 years
lesson time: Monday - Thursday (Friday = free working)
Professional diploma: ("Handwerksdesigner"/ „Meisterdesigner“ §42a HwO)
Part-time degree course "Gestalter im Handwerk" (design),
5 semesters = 2 1/2 years
lesson time: Friday evening/ Saturday (twice per month)
Professional diploma: ("Gestalter im Handwerk" §42a HwO)
Our formal conditions for the application are:
- a completed qualification in a design related craft or another comparable education (copy of your diploma)
- a portfolio of drawings and/or photos of your artistic works or special design-works
- Federal Training Assistance Grant aid for masters: For participants in a full-time or part-time degree course, this consists of a financial contribution of up to 15,000 Euros towards course and examination fees. Monthly living costs and costs of materials are also covered.
- Vocational Training Programme for the Highly Talented: Apprentices who are under the age of 25 and have an examination result of above 2.0 can receive a grant of up to 7,200 Euros.
- Academy grant: every year the “Friends of Gut Rosenberg” award is given to a number of particularly talented students.
Our intensive and individual guidance during the study is successful: since the business academy's establishment about 32 years ago, it educated 30 federal prize winners and 35 first-prize-winners from competitions held in North Rhine-Westphalia and throughout Germany.
The Federal Institute for Vocational Training (BIBB) awarded us with the Innovation in Continuing Education Prize 2008 for "Two in one".
Since the academy's establishment, we were able to establish frequent networks with regard to crafts and design not only in the district, but also on a national and even international level. The very useful exchange of ideas, joint projects or personal contacts help us during our daily work. We would like to thank all of our partners mentioned for their outstanding cooperation!
- Academy of Design & Crafts Münster - www.akademie-gestaltung.de
- Arbeitsgemeinschaft des Kunsthandwerks NRW e.V. - www.kunsthandwerk-nrw.de
- ARGE Academies of Design in Germany - www.gestaltungsakademien.de
- Bleiberger Fabrik - www.bleiberger.de
- Compagnons du Devoir Deutschland e.V. - www.compagnons-du-devoir.de
- University of Applied Sciences Aachen, special field design - www.fh-aachen.de/design.html
- Friends of Gut Rosenberg - further information
- Arts and Design Academy in Halle - www.burg-halle.de
- School of fashion makers in Münster - www.modemacher-muenster.de
- City Aachen - www.aachen.de
- Stiftergemeinschaft zur Förderung des Handwerks in der Region Aachen e.V. - further information
- Journeyman desingers - further information
- West German Chambers of Crafts and Skilled Trades’ Council (WHKT) - www.handwerk-nrw.de
- Zeche Zollverein Essen (a former coal mine, which is now used as an event centre) - www.zollverein.de
- Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Maastricht - www.abkmaastricht.nl
- ARCUS College Heerlen - www.arcuscollege.nl
- Compagnons du Devoir - www.compagnons-du-devoir.com
- St. Luc Academy - www.saintluc-liege.be
- PHL University college - www.phlimburg.be
- Province Liège, Cultural Office - culture.prov-liege.be
- Steneby Academy of Design in Sweden - www.steneby.se
- Continuing vocational education centre of small and medium-sized companies in Eupen (ZAWM) - www.zawm.be
- Hochschule für Gestaltung Basel